Map of North Carolina | North Carolina On the US Map
North Carolina is a state in the southeastern United States. It is bordered by Virginia to the north, Tennessee to the west, Georgia to the southwest, South Carolina to the south, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. The state’s capital is Raleigh.
- Population: 10.5 million (2020)
- Area: 53,819 square miles (139,390 square kilometers)
- Nickname: The Tar Heel State
- Capital: Raleigh
- Largest city: Charlotte
- Major rivers: Roanoke River, Neuse River, Cape Fear River, Yadkin River, Tar River
Area Map of North Carolina
The state covers an impressive area of approximately 53,819 square miles (139,390 square kilometers), making it the 28th largest state in the U.S. It offers a diverse range of landscapes, from the sandy shores of its coastal regions to the rolling hills of the Piedmont, and the rugged beauty of the Appalachian Mountains in the western part of the state.
Geography of North Carolina
North Carolina is a diverse state with three distinct geographic regions: the Appalachian Mountains, the Piedmont Plateau, and the Atlantic Coastal Plain.
- The Appalachian Mountains are located in the western part of the state. They are a rugged mountain range with peaks that reach up to 6,000 feet (1,800 meters) in elevation.
- The Piedmont Plateau is located in the central part of the state. It is a rolling hills region with a more moderate climate than the mountains.
- The Atlantic Coastal Plain is located in the eastern part of the state. It is a flat, sandy region with a warm climate.