The national animal of Azerbaijan is Red Karabakh horse. It belongs to the family of Equidae a class of Mammalia and kingdom of Animalia. Azerbaijanâ€™s national animal Karabakh horse is a rare and very beautiful animal. The Karabakh horses are the symbol Azerbaijanâ€™s national pride & heritage. It has a very good reputation for its good temper, speed, elegance and intelligence and that is why the Karabakh horse selected as the national animal of Azerbaijan.
The KarabakhÂ horse is a mountain-steppe racing and ridingÂ horse and endemic to Azerbaijan. It was originated in Nagorny Karabakh in Azerbaijan stuck between the Araks and Kura rivers. There are less than 1000 Karabakh horses left in the world. (CNN, 2015)
Facts about Azerbaijan’s national animal
- Common Name: Karabakh horseÂ orÂ Karabakhskaya
- Trinomial name: Equus ferus caballus
- Found in: Azerbaijan, Russia, Turkey, Persia
- Habitat: Mountain, Horse-keeper keeps in firm
- Main Diet: Mainly Grass, hay
- Head: 138 cm
- Length of Body: 139 cm
- Chest Circumference: 163 cm
- Average Weight: 280-350 kg
- Average Lifespan: Up to 25-30 years
- Average Speed: 56 km/h
- Conservation Status: Endangered
- Current number: Less 1000 in 2015
The Karabakh horseâ€™s colors are normally chestnut and gray. Considering size this horse is medium. Head is small & clean with a straight profile, the neck is average in length and set high, eyes are expressive & alert, the chest is deep, legs are very well set, hooves are small, hard & solid, and Skin is soft & thin. The breed of Karabakh horse is very few in number. Azerbaijanâ€™s agriculture ministry established a series of guidelines for breeding horses and prohibits the sale of horses to foreign agents as long as they are endangered.
The Karabakh horses are very famous for their exception speed & countless artistic renditions throughout the history. The people of Azerbaijan believe that the Karabakh Horse is an ancient, national breed that is inseparable from their national identity.
- â€śAzerbaijan horseâ€ť-Wikipedia
- â€śAzerbaijan fights to protect national animal from extinctionâ€ť- CNN
- â€śhttp://www.theequinest.com/breeds/karabakh/â€ť- The Equinest
- â€ś Azerbaijanâ€™s National Animal is critically endangeredâ€ť- Amurah