National Animal of Gabon
The Black Panther is the national animal of Gabon. This is a rare, fearless, powerful and intelligent animal. This has made it to be considered the national animal of Gabon. As a member of the big cat family, Gabon’s national animal roars just like leopards. In fact, many people call it the black leopard. It is also called the ghost of the forest because it is so stealthy, and one can rarely see it. As a solitary animal, the Black Panther lives alone, doing almost everything solitarily.
Black Panthers’ habitats include rainforests, marshlands, woodlands, swamps, deserts and can also survive in deserts and mountains. They can adapt to any climatic conditions including both warm and cold environments. This has enabled them to survive even after the destruction of their habitats by human activities. The number of panthers living in Gabon is estimated to be between 80 and 100 (World animal foundation). They are listed by IUCN as endangered due to the destruction of their habitats by humans.
Facts about the National Animal of Gabon (Black Panther)
- Common name: Black Panther
- Scientific name: Panthera pardus
- Average weight: male-130 pounds; females-70 pounds
- Average length: 7-8ft.
- Habitat: rainforests, marshlands, woodlands, swamps, deserts
- Main predator: human beings
- Diet: white-tailed deer, wild dogs, rabbits, raccoon and birds
- Lifespan: 19-20 years
- Gestation period: 90-105 days
As suggested by the name, the Black Panther is actually black in color. It resembles the leopard that is why many people call it the black leopard. It is not a social animal like other members of the cat family, it prefers to live a solitary life. While in the wild, this national animal of Gabon is hard to be seen, thus some people do not actually believe in its existence. On the coat-of-arms of Gabon, there are 2 black panthers, one on each side. This makes many consider it as the national animal symbol of Gabon.
This strange, rare and intelligent animal is the national symbol of Gabon.
- “Panther fact sheet”-World animal foundation
- “All about the black panther”-blackpantheranimal.com
- “The national symbols of Gabon”-targetstudy.co
- “Animals and pets: the black panther”-World’s catalogue of ideas