The national animal of Israel is the Israeli gazelle. It is also called gazella gazella or mountainous gazelle. This animal belongs to the antelope subspecies, and at some point, a British expert reported that it had become extinct. It is mostly found in Israel and Palestine. Israel’s national animal is a pure grazer, feeding mostly on young grass, shoots and barks of trees. They are slender, with long necks. Their hind legs are particularly long, compared to the front ones.
The national animal of Israel lives mostly in mountainous and hilly areas provided that such areas have enough vegetation and a source of water. During the day, the national animal of Israel spends its time in the hills, and only descends down to forage at night. Their total population is estimated to be around 3000, down from around 10,000 animals in Israel (Israel and nature parks authority, 2008). This animal is listed as endangered by the IUCN red list. Destruction of their habitats, hunting and many other predators pose a threat to the existence of this antelope species.
Facts about the National Animal of Israel
- Common name: Israeli gazelle
- Scientific name: Gazella gazella
- Average weight: male-17-29.5kgs; female-16-25kgs
- Average length: male-101-115cm; female-98-101cm
- Gestation period: 180 days
- Diet: herbivores
- Conservation status: endangered
- Habitat: Mountainous and hilly areas
The coat color of the national animal of Israel is dark brown with the underparts, flanks and limbs being light brown. There is an off-white strip with black lower margins. The dark dorsal tones are separated from the white underparts by a narrow, dark flank-band. Their tail is black and bushy, with relatively short ears. Both male and female Israeli gazelles have horns. This beautiful gazelle is actually the national animal symbol of Israel.
A lot of efforts have been put into conservation of the Israeli gazelle. This is because, as a national symbol of Israel, the country would like to protect its national heritage.
- “National animal of Israel”-yahoo.com
- “The national symbols of Israel”-world atlas.
- “Israeli gazelle in danger of extinction”-The times of Israel
- “Israel’s gazelle”-haarets.com