The magnificent frigate bird is the national animal of Kiribati. The national bird of Kiribati is a long-winged, fork-tailed bird of tropical oceans, it is a seabird. Kiribati’s national bird is an agile flier. It is capable of snatching food from the surface of the ocean and also can steal other birds’ food. Of the entire frigate bird species, the national animal of Kiribati is the largest of. During breeding seasons, these birds would mostly hover around the ocean and seas, but would move along the coast during non-breeding season.
Kiribati’s national animal mostly lives in mangrove forests, in areas with lots of coral reefs and amongst deciduous trees and bushes on dry islands and along the coast. Other than Kiribati, the magnificent frigate bird can also be found in America, Mexico, Ecuador, Brazil and also Cape Verde islands. Their total population appears to be declining, and this can be attributed to hunting by human beings.
Facts about the National Animal of Kiribati
- Common name: magnificent frigate bird
- Scientific name: fregata magnificens
- Average weight: 1100-1590 grams
- Average length: 89-114 cm
- Wingspan: 217-244cm
- Incubation period: 53-61 days
- Lifespan: 30 years
- Predator: human beings
- Habitat: mangrove forests and along the coast
- Diet: small fish, Squid, jellyfish and crustaceans
It is large, lightly built seabird with a brownish-black plumage. Its tail is forked and the wings are narrow and long. Males have a red gular sac. During mating, the male inflates the red gular sac to attract a mate. Females are slightly larger than males, and have a white breast and belly. This attractive bird is the national animal symbol of Kiribati. They feed mostly on small fish, squid, jellyfish and crustaceans. They harass other birds and force them to leave their food.
The feathers of this bird can be found scattered in their habitats. Human beings take these feathers and use them to make traditional dancing costumes. This has made them to be considered the national symbol of Kiribati.
- “Magnificent frigate bird”-Wikipedia
- “Complete list of the national animals of countries around the world”-buzzle.com
- “The kingdom of Kiribati-Tarawa”-Nationstates.net
- “All about the magnificent frigate”-All about birds