The national animal of Kuwait is the Arabian camel. Unlike other camel species, the national animal of Kuwait, which is also known as dromedaries, has got only one hump. This one hump is well utilized in storing enough fats which is then converted to energy and water during dry seasons when there is no food. During the ancient days, the Arabian camel was the main means of survival for the people of Kuwait. It provided them with food in terms of meat and sometimes blood and was also the main means of transport.
Kuwait’s national animal is mostly found in deserts and also in rocky regions of Northern America, Western Asia, East Africa, Middle East and India. The total number of Kuwait’s national animal is estimated to be around 1.6 million animals which are well distributed throughout the country (Dairy production and products of camels). Their conservation status is listed on the IUCN red list of endangered species as least concern though their population trend is still unknown.
Facts about the National Animal of Kuwait
- Common name: Arabian camel
- Scientific name: camelus dromedarius
- Average weight: up to 1600lbs.
- Average length: 2.2-3.5m
- Diet: Herbivore
- Speed: 40km/h
- Main predators: lions, leopards and human beings
- Habitat: arid desert and scrub land
- Life expectancy: 40-50 years
- Gestation period: 390-410 days
- Skin type: hair
- Group name: caravan or flock
The skin of these animals is covered by hair/fur all over. The color of the fur can range from grey to brown depending on the environment where it is found. They are also social animals, living in groups called flocks comprising of females, males and also young camels. During mating season, the male camels become jealously protective of their female mates. In Kuwait, the Arabian camel is the most dominant animal, thus acquiring the identity of national animal symbol of Kuwait.
Images of the Arabian camel can be found in several places in Kuwait, ranging from stumps, country’s currency among others. This has been considered to be the reason the animal is referred to as the national symbol of Kuwait.
- “National symbols of Kuwait”-Targetstudy.com
- “National animal of Kuwait”reddit.com
- “All about the Arabian camel”-National Geographic
- “Camels: facts, types & pictures”-Live science