Most of the offices, small or large, now provide snack foods to their employees as an essential perk. This is a great way to enhance productivity as well as win the hearts of the employees at the same time. If you are a small business owner and want to follow the same route for your employees you will need to know the right way to do it to make it a win-win situation for you. There are several reasons why offices provide snacks to their employees.
- Food provides the essential fuel to the body to work and better the food is more fueled will be your employees.
- This will eventually make then work better and even for long hours at a stretch.
- They will not leave their desk every now and then to go to the store across the street to grab a bite and waste hours together affecting the productivity in a negative manner.
Sounds very impressive, isn’t it? However, feeding the employees in your office is not an easy task. It is daunting in fact but the benefits that you will gain by providing office snacks will outweigh the effort and time you put in.
Boosting the satisfaction of the employees and their level of productivity are just two obvious benefits of providing office snacks. In addition to that office, snacks will provide you with a lot of direct as well as indirect benefits such as:
- They will make the employees happy
- It will create a more communal and appealing working atmosphere and
- It will also increase the bonding between your employees.
You will be highly surprised when you will see that a particular employee come up with an innovative and effective discovery or a result driven solution to a problem while grabbing an apple or gourmet popcorn or even a fruit bar from the break room or kitchen. This is the benefit of having well-fed, well-nourished and healthy employees.
Have a proper plan
Remember, it is an art in workplace snacking and therefore there is a right and wrong way to do it. If you want your effort to be minimal and the returns gained to be optimal, there are a few things that you should keep in mind such as:
- You will need to plan your moves
- Coordinate everything properly
- Make the right order at the right time
- Store the food in the right place and in the right way
- Ensure that these are accessible to all and
- There is an adequate amount of it in the kitchen.
If this seems to be too much for you and you have other important areas of your business to look after, there is an easy and effective way out. You can choose a reliable and reputable Office snack service for that matter. They will take care of everything and keep your kitchen well stacked with healthy food just as you and your employees want to take away all your worries and stress.
Things to care for
There are lots of points that you should keep in mind when you want to provide the right type of snacks to your employees. After all, you will want to make your investment productive and high yielding and certainly not want to pay for the medical treatments for your employees falling sick after eating the office snacks provided by you.
- The first thing that you need to care for is the health aspect. You will need to go healthy and avoid temptations of offering candy to the employees knowing that anyone is fond of candy. However, if you think about their likes only, soon this kind of sugar rush will soon be transformed into a sugar crash which is the last thing that you want. Therefore, you should focus on stocking foods that are high on protein and healthy. Include foods like fruits, cheese, nuts, and crackers that will result in better focus all through the day.
- You will also need to be as creative as possible while you stack your office kitchen with snack items so that these are liked, loved and appreciated by your employees. Mix up different items so that the stock does not look boring and repulsive. Make sure that you include gourmet snacks rather than those mass-produced snack items. Your employees will like unexpected snacks items more instead of the expected ones.
- However, you do not have to go out of your way and budget to find the respective delicacies of each employee of you to be creative. Simply make sure that you put some thought into your ordering and food selection process. Make sure that you include foods that are in season. For this, you must ensure that you shop locally. This will allow you to talk to the local markets, the farmers and even the restaurants to find out what is best for the current season and to get different innovative ideas of food stacking. This will not only create a community spirit but will also introduce your employees to the local businesses.
- Know and take care of the allergies and different sensitivities of your employees to specific foods and its ingredients while placing your order to the office snack service. The best way to go ahead is to conduct an informal poll wherein you may ask your employees about their food restrictions and medical conditions but do not base your poll on their likings only.
If you are a small business owner and follow a shoestring budget then providing snacks every day to your employees can be cost prohibitive than cost effective. In such situations, you can designate one day in the week as a designated snack day. Wednesdays are the best as this will enable the employees to overcome the mid-week hump and they will look forward to this day each week. This will make it more cost effective and productive for your business as you will not have to offer something special every day. At the least, you can offer the basics like tea and coffee to keep your employees happy and the office humming.