We have researched the easiest and most reliable ways to start your own e-commerce site. Many of these are hosted solutions which may be the quickest way to get started. For those that want to use their own hosting we offer the best options that include a shopping cart for managing everything yourself.
The nice thing about most of the hosted ecommerce packages is they offer a free trial so you can try before you buy, check out the functionality and decide whether or not it is right for your business. Here is our list of the 10 best ecommerce solutions to build your own store including basic information about each one and the price of a base package…
- BigCommerce ($24.95/month) : BigCommerce is one of the most popular and user friendly hosted ecommerce platforms around. You can easily setup and manage a store and get started quickly. They offer a free trial to test out before you buy.
- Shopify ($29.00/month) : Shopify is another hosted solution that makes it easy to open an online store by providing all the tools and help you need. Setup an ecommerce shop in just a few minutes.
- Volusion ($15.00/month) : Volusion allows you to create an online store in just minutes with their easy to use online ecommerce store builder service. They have over 100+ templates to choose from and a bunch of features included in every plan.
- 1ShoppingCart ($34.95/month) : The Online Store Builder from 1ShoppingCart.com allows you to build a powerful, secure ecommerce storefront with ease.
- Ashop Commerce ($24.95/month) : Ashop Commerce is an online service provider enabling merchants to start and manage their own online stores. Featuring professional custom themes and a bunch of features for the price…you should check them out.
- ShopperPress($79 one time price) : ShopperPress is a WordPress based ecommerce shopping cart solution that is a customized theme that includes everything you need to build a rich and full featured online store. Have complete control of your store.
- 3dcart ($19.95/month) : 3dcart allows you to build a store from your Web browser and is easy to use. They have been around since 1997 so they are one of the more reliable shopping cart solutions available.
- Yahoo! Merchant Solutions ($39.95/month) : Yahoo offers one of the most stable and reliable online merchant solutions available. Custom design tools and other useful features are available to make your online store a success.
- UltraCart($49.95/month) : UltraCart is a safe and secure shopping cart solution to allow you to sell merchandise online. Their easy to use system makes it simple to add a cart to your existing Web site.
- X-Cart ($195 one time price) : X-Cart is shopping cart software & PHP ecommerce solutions for building quality ecommerce sites. Choose the X-Cart edition that is right for your business.
Tips on Starting an E-commerce Store
If you’ve arrived at this page then you are ready to get started with your own e-commerce store. We have researched and listed some of the top ecommerce shopping software solutions that are available for you to start comparing. Beyond actually building a store there are alot of things to consider when planning, building, and marketing online. Here is the basic process that most people go through when deciding to build their own shop and some tips to help get you going:
- Niche/competition research – Try and pick things that are not available at your local department/chain store. You want to be ‘the source’ for buying products online. Consider choosing a ‘sub niche’ that is not too general because competition may be too difficult. Look at other stores in your niche and see how established they are.
- Find suppliers if you don’t have your own product to sell. Dropshipping is a great way to keep costs low since you don’t have to keep inventory.
- Build the store with one of the solutions we have listed above.
- Launch the store by setting up a marketing campaign to get your name out there. A good press release, and connecting your site with social media accounts and announcing there is a great way to start.
- Market the heck out of it! Consider submitting your store to some of the comparison shopping engines for traffic, listing your site in directories, and you can even try paid traffic to get going faster
- Make sure to engage your customers and provide excellent customer service. You are building a brand and your reputation is very important
The tips above are basic and do not cover many things that are required when starting a store online but it should be a good overview. We hope that you have found this information informative and wish you success in your new venture.
Other E-Commerce Information Resources
The topic of building ecommerce stores online is very detailed and it may be helpful to consider using some other learning tools to get started. Here are some other resources that may benefit you…click on the links for more information.
- Store Coach – Complete training, forums, support and resources on starting an ecommerce store.
- Salehoo Wholesale Sources – See where to get whole sources on products to resell
- Four Hour System – A complete system to follow with training and videos that show you how to successfully build and launch an online store with dropshipping.
- 20% off Premium SSL Certificates from GoDaddy.com – You will need an SSL certificate for your online store and this is the cheapest and most reliable place to buy them online.