United States Map With Interstate Highway Network
With an area of 9,833,516 km², the USA is the third-largest country in the world. The country is more than twice the size of the European Union or slightly more than half the size of Russia. The United States Department of Transportation controlled and supervised the Road Map of USA. In United States Map, the road system is a vast and complex network of highways, roads, and streets. It is the second-largest road network in the world, after China.
The road system of the United States is a marvel of modern infrastructure, spanning across vast landscapes and connecting every corner of the nation. From the bustling urban centers to the remote rural areas, the USA’s road system plays a crucial role in facilitating transportation, commerce, and travel. At the heart of this system lies the iconic Interstate Highway Network, a testament to engineering excellence and innovation.
The Interstate Highway System, often simply referred to as the Interstate, is a network of controlled-access highways that crisscross the United States. Envisioned and championed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in the 1950s, the Interstate Highway System was created with the primary goal of providing efficient and safe transportation for both civilians and military personnel.
State Wise List of Interstate Highways
Alabama | 12 active routes | 1,145.49 mi.
- I-10, I-20, I-22, I-59, I-65, I-85
- I-210, I-222, I-422, I-359, I-459, I-759, I-165, I-565
Alaska | 4 active routes | 1,082.22 mi.
- I-A-1, I-A-2, I-A-3, I-A-4
Arizona | 6 active routes | 1,168.64 mi.
- I-8, I-10, I-11, I-15, I-17, I-19, I-40
Arkansas | 10 active routes | 747.12 mi.
- I-30, I-40, I-49, I-55, I-57, I-69
- I-130, I-430, I-530, I-630, I-440, I-540, I-555
California | 12 active routes | 2,457.34 mi.
- I-5, I-8, I-10, I-15, I-40, I-80
- I-105, I-205, I-305, I-405, I-505, I-605, I-805, I-905, I-110, I-210, I-710, I-215, I-238, I-280, I-380, I-580, I-680, I-780, I-880, I-980
Colorado | 5 active routes | 951.85 mi.
- I-25, I-70, I-76
- I-225, I-270
Connecticut | 8 active routes | 346.17 mi.
- I-84, I-91, I-95
- I-384, I-684, I-291, I-691, I-395
Delaware | 3 active routes | 40.61 mi.
- I-295, I-495
District of Columbia | 5 active routes | 12.27 mi.
- I-66, I-95
- I-295, I-395, I-495, I-695
Florida | 12 active routes | 1,497.58 mi.
- I-4, I-10, I-75, I-95
- I-110, I-175, I-275, I-375, I-195, I-295, I-395, I-595, I-795
Georgia | 15 active routes | 1,253.19 mi.
- I-16, I-20, I-24, I-59, I-75, I-85, I-95
- I-516, I-420, I-520, I-475, I-575, I-675, I-185, I-285, I-485, I-985
Hawaii | 4 active routes | 54.91 mi.
- I-H1, I-H2, I-H3
Idaho | 5 active routes | 611.76 mi.
- I-15, I-84, I-86, I-90
Illinois | 25 active routes | 2,203.42 mi.
- I-24, I-39, I-41, I-55, I-57, I-64, I-70, I-72, I-74, I-80, I-88, I-90, I-94
- I-155, I-255, I-355, I-270, I-172, I-474, I-180, I-280, I-190, I-290, I-390, I-490, I-294, I-494
Indiana | 14 active routes | 1,306.52 mi.
- I-64, I-65, I-69, I-70, I-74, I-80, I-90, I-94
- I-164, I-469, I-265, I-465, I-865, I-275
Iowa | 11 active routes | 781.24 mi.
- I-29, I-35, I-74, I-80
- I-129, I-235, I-280, I-380, I-480, I-680 | I-880
Kansas | 9 active routes | 874.34 mi.
- I-35, I-70
- I-135, I-235, I-335, I-435, I-635, I-470, I-670
Kentucky | 11 active routes | 913.20 mi.
- I-24, I-64, I-65, I-69, I-71, I-75
- I-165, I-264, I-265, I-169, I-569, I-275, I-471
Louisiana | 13 active routes | 933.84 mi.
- I-10, I-12, I-20, I-49, I-55, I-59, I-69
- I-110, I-210, I-310, I-410, I-510, I-610, I-910, I-220
Maine | 5 active routes | 366.54 mi.
- I-195, I-295, I-395, I-495
Maryland | 16 active routes | 480.09 mi.
- I-68, I-70, I-81, I-83, I-95, I-97
- I-170, I-270, I-370, I-195, I-295, I-395, I-495, I-595, I-695, I-795, I-895
Massachusetts | 13 active routes | 565.63 mi.
- I-84, I-90, I-91, I-93, I-95
- I-190, I-290, I-291, I-391, I-195, I-295, I-395, I-495
Michigan | 13 active routes | 1,240.96 mi.
- I-69, I-75, I-94, I-96
- I-275, I-375, I-475, I-675, I-194, I-196, I-296, I-496, I-696
Minnesota | 9 active routes | 912.73 mi.
- I-35, I-35E, I-35W, I-90, I-94
- I-535, I-394, I-494, I-694
Mississippi | 9 active routes | 831.47 mi.
- I-10, I-20, I-22, I-55, I-59, I-69
- I-110, I-310, I-220, I-269, I-755
Missouri | 18 active routes | 1,386.23 mi.
- I-29, I-35, I-44, I-49, I-55, I-57, I-64, I-70, I-72
- I-229, I-435, I-635, I-155, I-255, I-364, I-170, I-270, I-370, I-470, I-570, I-670
Montana | 5 active routes | 1,191.23 mi.
- I-15, I-90, I-94
- I-115, I-315
Nebraska | 6 active routes | 481.66 mi.
- I-76, I-80
- I-129, I-180, I-480, I-580, I-680
Nevada | 6 active routes | 623.79 mi.
- I-11, I-15, I-80
- I-215, I-515, I-580
New Hampshire | 5 active routes | 224.54 mi.
- I-89, I-93, I-95
- I-293, I-393
New Jersey | 10 active routes | 431.36 mi.
- I-76, I-78, I-80, I-95
- I-676, I-278, I-280, I-287, I-195, I-295, I-495
New Mexico | 3 active routes | 999.90 mi.
- I-10, I-25, I-40
New York | 31 active routes | 1,730.34 mi.
- I-78, I-81, I-84, I-86, I-87, I-88, I-90, I-95, I-99
- I-278, I-478, I-678, I-878, I-481, I-781, I-684, I-287, I-587, I-687, I-787, I-190, I-290, I-390, I-490, I-590, I-690, I-790, I-890, I-990, I-295, I-495, I-695, I-895
North Carolina | 19 active routes# | 1,337.30 mi.
- I-26, I-40, I-42, I-73, I-74, I-77, I-85, I-87, I-95
- I-140, I-240, I-440, I-540, I-840, I-274, I-277, I-285, I-485, I-587, I-785, I-885, I-295, I-495, I-795
North Dakota | 3 active routes | 571.13 mi.
- I-29, I-94
Ohio | 21 active routes | 1,572.35 mi.
- I-70, I-71, I-74, I-75, I-76, I-77, I-80, I-90
- I-270, I-470, I-670, I-271, I-471, I-275, I-475, I-675, I-277, I-280, I-480, I-680, I-490
Oklahoma | 7 active routes | 930.16 mi.
- I-35, I-40, I-44
- I-235, I-240, I-244, I-444
Oregon | 6 active routes | 727.41 mi.
- I-5, I-82, I-84
- I-105, I-205, I-305, I-405, I-505
Pennsylvania | 23 active routes## | 1,862.21 mi.
- I-70, I-76, I-78, I-79, I-80, I-81, I-83, I-84, I-86, I-90, I-95, I-99
- I-176, I-276, I-376, I-476, I-576, I-676, I-279, I-579, I-178, I-378, I-180, I-380, I-283, I-295
Puerto Rico | 3 active routes | 249.77 mi.
- I-PR-1, I-PR-2, I-PR-3
Rhode Island | 3 active routes | 68.53 mi.
- I-195, I-295
South Carolina | 11 active routes | 850.80 mi.
- I-20, I-26, I-73, I-74, I-77, I-85, I-95
- I-126, I-326, I-520, I-526, I-185, I-385, I-585
South Dakota | 4 active routes | 678.31 mi.
- I-29, I-90
- I-229, I-190
Tennessee | 17 active routes | 1,959.54 mi.
- I-24, I-26, I-40, I-55, I-65, I-69, I-81
- I-124, I-140, I-240, I-440, I-640, I-840, I-155, I-265, I-269, I-275, I-181
Texas | 25 active routes | 3,501.15 mi.
- I-2, I-10, I-14, I-20, I-27, I-30, I-35, I-35E, I-35W, I-37, I-40, I-44, I-45, I-69
- I-110, I-410, I-610, I-820, I-635, I-345, I-69C, I-69E, I-69W, I-169, I-369
Utah | 5 active routes | 938.00 mi.
- I-15, I-70, I-80, I-84
Vermont | 4 active routes | 320.22 mi.
- I-89, I-91, I-93
- I-189, I-289
Virginia | 16 active routes | 1,117.23 mi.
- I-64, I-66, I-73, I-77, I-81, I-85, I-95
- I-264, I-464, I-564, I-664, I-381, I-581, I-785, I-195, I-295, I-395, I-495, I-895
Washington | 7 active routes | 763.67 mi.
- I-5, I-82, I-90
- I-205, I-405, I-705, I-182
West Virginia | 7 active routes | 549.05 mi.
- I-64, I-66, I-68, I-70, I-73, I-77, I-79
Wisconsin | 7 active routes | 741.80 mi.
- I-39, I-41, I-43, I-90, I-94
- I-535, I-794, I-894
Wyoming | 4 active routes | 913.60 mi.
- I-25, I-80, I-90
The road system of the USA, with the Interstate Highway Network at its core, stands as a testament to human ingenuity and perseverance. It has not only connected communities but has also shaped the economic and cultural landscape of the nation. As technology and society continue to evolve, so too will the road system, adapting to meet the challenges and opportunities of the future.
What is the total length of the US road system?
The total length of the US road system is about 4.2 million miles (6.7 million km). This includes all types of roads, from local streets to interstate highways.