The Seal Of Utah State
The official state Seal Of Utah was adopted on April 3, 1896, when Gov. Heber M. Wells signed “An Act Describing and Providing for the Great Seal of the State of Utah” (see Constitution of Utah V11:20). Adopted April 3, 1896, at the first regular session of the Legislature (January, February, March, April 1896). The seal was designed by Harry Edwards; the original seal cost $65.00.
The Great Seal Of Utah is described in Utah Code Annotated, 1953, Volume 7a, section 67-2-9 as follows: “The Great Seal of the State of Utah shall be two and one-half inches in diameter, and of the following device; the center a shield and perched thereon an American Eagle with outstretching wings; the top of the shield pierced by six arrows crosswise; under the arrows the motto “INDUSTRY”; beneath the motto a beehive, on either side growing sego lilies; below the figures “1847”; on each side of the shield an American Flag.; encircling all, near the outer edge of the seal, beginning at the lower left-hand portion, the words, “THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF UTAH”, with the figures “1896” at the base.
“The Great Seal Rule states, in section R622-2-3. Custody and Use, “The lieutenant governor shall keep custody of the Great Seal of the state of Utah; to keep a register of, and attest, the official acts of the governor; and to affix the Great Seal, with an attestation, to all official documents and instruments to which the official signature of the governor is required. In addition, the Lieutenant Governor of Utah shall be the only agent authorized to affix the seal to any document for the purpose of attesting, certifying, or otherwise formalizing a document. No facsimile or reproduction of the Great Seal Of Utah may be manufactured, used, displayed, or otherwise employed by anyone without the written approval of the Lieutenant Governor.”